Anyway this blog is about the sewing/fashion type stuff not to gush over Karl Urban. Unfortunately I am too big to fit this dress at the moment - though it is close so hopefully this year will see it back on my back (and can you believe I thought I was "fat" when I made it)
Anyway jokes aside this dress is made using a simplicity reprint 1960's shift. Some (ok all) of the seam detailing is lost in the super psychedelic pattern I chose to use. The material was part of a quilting series for the Beatles and is called Yellow Submarine. It was my first time working with Quilting cotton and I loved how it it sewed. Quilting, however is a heavier cotton than some so works better on dresses with structure.
I lined the dress in some navy polyester lining. The lining was sewn like a bubble into the hem to avoid any visible hem seems on the front of the dress. Basically, I cut the dress a few cm longer than the lining and sewed the two together. Then I ironed it so that the extra dress hem folded up into the lining. Not something I would recommend to others as ironing is a nightmare but the concept of a hem stitch was years away at this point. The other change that I made was to move the zip down, mostly because it meant I would not have to finish the zip top.
Things that I like about this dress, the finishes are all well done. The fabric is amazing and stands out and the dress when it did fit, fit really well. I was initially; concerned that with my bust it wouldn't sit well but I was pleasantly surprised. There is just enough shape in the dress to define waist and hips.
I do recommend this pattern
I also recommend the Beatles - still the best band of all history.