Tuesday, December 8, 2020

The Tram Outfit

 This outfit was actually made last year.  The Historical Picnic Society of Sydney was made aware that there was a celebration happening at the tram museum to celebrate 110 years (I think) of Sydney Trams.  This placed the opening to 1899 so we decided a suitable presentation should be attempted and on this day in 2019 we all assembled suitably attired.

Originally I had bought a 1898 Ageless Patterns option in the strawberry Linen suit, however as deadline loomed I knew I would not have the time to do it the justice I wanted to that outfit.  For those who have not worked with ageless patterns before they are a reproduction of patterns at the time.  They give you the basic pattern pieces in whatever size the original is in and the rest is up to you.  I knew I would need to do a lot of resizing and refitting to get the result I wanted let alone the trim plans I had.

So with limited time left I turned to my trusty Truly Victorian stash of patterns and moved a few years post the trams opening to make the 1903 Plain Blousewaist (TVE41) and the 1903 Trumpet Skirt (TVE21).  For those who have not used Truly Victorian they give you for the most part the basic structure and you are able to decorate to your hearts content to create a variety of options.  Depending on fabric choice, trim choices and accessories you can obtain a large variety of looks.  I was aiming for Edwardian Middle Class woman on a day out.

For fabric I turned to E&M Greenfields, a Sydney store that supplies wholesale and also direct to public both online an instore with a large range of basic fabrics in a rainbow of colours.  Having been in there the range online is a drop in the ocean of what you can get in store especially in the trim department.  Being wholesale primarily if you don't order in large enough quantities there is a cutting fee and prices are not advertised but given by quote.  Having said that whilst the system is one step longer it really isn't complicated and their response time is amazing.  So is the cost. I asked for a quote on a yellow Linen (skirt) and white preshrunk Voile (top and lining).  

I don't remember the exact price I paid but the Voile was so cheap I thought why the hell not and bought the 15m that was the limit before another fee kicked in - I mean who doesn't need 15m of voile, I can use it for lots of things, anything, I live for voile.  




The outfit turned out ok I guess.  The skirt I love though I think I should placket the back opening and to be fair Linen whilst time period appropriate is a wrinkling nightmare, the yellow colour however I love.  The shape is very flattering I think.

The top however, I am not sure on.  I think I need to remake in something with a bit more body than the voile to be honest.  It isn't bad just boring.  Also I could be being tainted by years of watching Pollyanna but I feel it is very "pidgeony".  I did lower the neck using only the undercollar.  Having made the Train outfit previously with the full heighted collar I knew I did not have a graceful swan like Edwardian neck and ended up looking like a floating head.  This height turned out perfect for me and is finished with a tiny little ruffle of eyelet lace.  The same lace is backed on itself to form a double sided run down the blouse Centre.  Problem is none of these details really show up in the photos.

I topped it all off with a bought boater, found in the post Melbourne Cup sales (the only time to buy hats).

So what do you think, should I try the bouse again? If so what fabric should I use?

No comments:

Post a Comment