Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Is it Pretty? - Finding my sewjo and finishing the unfinished

 Last year was a great big giant sewing rut.  I fell pregnant in January and was sent home to lockdown in March and was unable to return to work in office before my maternity leave.  Quite literally I spent about 8 months sitting on the lounge doing nothing much.  It was not good for me in many ways and was likely not that different to most other people given the global shitstorm. 

Normally I would have spent time sewing but the pregnancy was quite demotivating, I didn't have anywhere to go and anything I made would be useless now, may not fit later etc etc so why bother.  New year came and the competition for Foundations revealed reinvigorated me and now I am overflowing with plans and ideas.  

Slowly the sewing supplies are making their way back up to me from under the house, organisation was happening but sewing, well not so much.  There were setbacks with the 1940's dress I had started not turning out as I had imagined, everything was just a lot.  Then in my procrastinating binge watching of you tube I came across the closet historian and this video. I don't think the closet historian could have imagined what effect the small intro to this video would have on me and most specifically one question.

IS IT PRETTY? 

A lot of my procrastination happened because I want it to be perfect, but it doesn't have to be perfect,  does it?  It just has to be pretty (to me, beauty is after all in the eye of the beholder).  Does it matter if it has a zip instead of hooks and eyes - no because its pretty.  I don't want to wear costumes because they are historically accurate, reenactment isn't my thing.  I want to wear costumes because they are pretty.  I want to make my own clothes because they are pretty and if I stop trying to fulfil the self imposed accuracy to historical standards I could concentrate more on the modern technical skills such as fitting, drafting, designing.  Those things will make my stuff  more pretty not hand felling the internal seams.

So today I did something I haven't done in about 2 years at least - I got out my overlocker (serger for those who know it by that name).  Is it historically accurate as a means of seam finishing ? - nope.  Do you see it? also nope.  And it has the major benefit of being quick and easy. 

That's not to say I can give up on all hand finishes just that I can prioritise what will add to the aesthetic and what is just being finicky for no personal gain.  Sure there are those out there to which the historical finishes are super important, and that is what makes them happy but I won't find my happiness in their pursuits - and you may not find yours in mine.  Find what satisfies your own desires and follow that path.

So with this new motivation I have hit the ground running and am on track to complete 2 unfinished projects this month.  One a 50's dress that was started probably 8-10 years ago... sat unfinished and unloved until this week when I inserted a zip, added an internal ruffle and now am left with just a hem.  Oh and a diet because it doesn't quite fit me - sorry if those pics end up being on Gladys.

I have also redesigned a costume from January of 2019 taking it from "colonial" to "gone with the wind" using mostly stash.

The 40's dress just needs buttons, though I may need to provide the post for that before I add them as I am yet to find ones that will work.  Lime green buttons are hard to find.

I have also traced out designed and prepared for the making of the renaissance outfit which I am dramatically calling Juliet in mourning... despite it not being black. 

I doubt I will finish all of this for march but I will have the two UFO's over and done with I am sure and that feels like an accomplishment.

So though you are likely to never see this My thanks Closet Historian, your work has refocused my joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment