Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Finishing the Unfinished - Blanket Dress

 So this is the first in a series I will be calling finishing the unfinished.  To qualify as a UFO the item has to never have been completed to the point of wearable.  In future I will take photos of how close they were but for this one I will just have to be descriptive.  I call this project The blanket Dress.


Date Started: Circa 2011-2013

Date Finished: 22 March 2021

So with the window of a full decade this dress was left languishing because I was just generally unhappy with how it was going.  It got put aside and not picked up again until now.  The thing I remember not liking - the wonky front neckline.  It was left with all seams done except the zipper side including the lining inserted in the same state but the lining was missing a ruffle (not part of the original pattern - though then again neither was the lining).  

The Pattern was Vintage Vogue 2267 (Currently I believe out of print).  I (well we including Ange) were going through a big 50's phase buying up all the vintage reprint patterns we could get our hands on.  Its not the most exciting vintage pattern but I do like the faux princess line (I say faux because it does have side bust darts so its not entirely princess) and the softer 50's silhouette rather than the super full skirt more often found on these reprints.


The fabric I bought to make a Victorian bustle gown with, and yes I still have umpteen meters of it.  I think it cost a couple bucks a meter in Cabramatta and was a few years owned by the time I made this dress.  The thought was that it would be a warm winter look because the fabric is a very loose weave and very thick fabric.  I like warm.  The loose weave however also made it terrible to cut and sew hence the weird front neck angle. (yes it can not be unseen).


It was dragged around (2 moves) and eventually the cut and overlocked poplin pieces to create the ruffle were misplaced.  The bulk of the dress was located again when my friend and I were organising my sewing stuff and she suggested it was so close to done that I should take a look at it.

It required at that stage: Zip and side seam, ruffle and hem.  Time to complete if I have worked on it non stop probably one afternoon.


Will I use it: Unlikely - 2011 was not just 10 years but also 2 children ago and alas I even tried a corset to get into this for photos and the universe is not favouring me on this one, so Gladys got spiffied up to show off the finished product.


I am proud of how I got my zip in, it is pretty invisible and should be given that it was hand basted, then hand sewn then machine sewn in just to keep the fabric from shifting.  The ruffled under petticoat lining is great for holding the dress in a nice shape without being too over poofed and it styles well with the shirt here.  However that neck still bugs me senseless.  I could given the masses of this fabric left try again in a bigger size, with the experience I think I could generally have this dress finished in a week including taking time to fit the pattern to me (would need resize and FBA) and all finishes, the hem for example was measured from the waste and hand basted before being hand stitched down.  It is a very uncomplicated pattern.  I am unlikely to do so however - at least not with this fabric.  I do think I would like a similar style for my wardrobe but I don't have the patience to try lining up these stripes so we will see if I do find a fabric to inspire me.  I actually think this would look really good with a matching coat, the pattern does have a matching bolero but that isn't as winter friendly.

Now its done I need to decide what to do with it - do I hold onto it in the hopes that I can get small enough or do I send it to a new home?

No comments:

Post a Comment