Thursday, May 13, 2021

March Summation and April Plans

 Guess who didn't factor in school holidays for April.

As you can likely tell by the lack of posts I did not manage to finish anything at all in April.  I very nearly managed to finish the unfinished project but not quite (finishing it today).


What I did manage:

  • Drafted and pattern mock up for 1785-1788 corset from Stays and Corsets (volume 1) by Mandy Barrington.  I also managed to get the sized pattern cut out twice but did not get to sewing it together to create the boned mock up.
  • Traced the pattern for my renaissance dress, no more movement there.
  • Finished my unfinished brown floral dress that (surprise) does not fit me.
  • Traced and resized the pattern for the 1930's outfit but did not even get the trial cut out.
  • Discovered that the material I wanted to use for the hoop is just a bit to small, I have come up with a fix and even located more stash fabric to use but just never got round to more than that.

So yes the boy does suck a lot of time out of my life but I wouldn't have it any other way.  For this reason I won't be summarizing the projects as I did last month, its just a little too depressing.

However the Plans for May are already going well

Project 1
Blue and White spot dress, which is at time of posting this is already done but I do need some more time to get photos done (as the hat I wanted only just arrived)  however I can present this preview.


Project 2
Renaissance dress, I have prewashed the fabric and planned my cutting lay out today so tomorrow I should begin the actual process of putting it together.  I also received the last pieces for trims in the form of 3.8cm wide black velvet ribbon.  I was very happy to pick this up at about $3/m as its somewhere near $7 at spotlight.  As the ribbon I got is technically millinery it isn't as plush as spotlight but it will be beaded over anyway.


Project 3
The 30's Project, as per last month and as above.  I have the skirts pinned to a cheap rayon I have had laying around for ages so its just cut and size but this project may take a back burner to some of the others in this list as its probably the least exciting to me right now.

Project 4
My corset as above and last month.  I really want to get movement on this as I don't think it will take much more than a full day to get it done, again its a case of focus.  Perhaps I will pick a few days to dedicate to this and just knock it off.

Project 5
Chemise Dress.  I have the fabric and need the says finished but if I can't get it done in time for the white event I will use the swan maiden as a back up.  I would however really like to see this one complete as I think it will make a very pleasant addition to the costuming wardrobe.

Project 6
Hoop as above and last month.  I really do want it out of the strawberry fabric as shown in the previous posts but there isn't quite enough to do this.  My plan is to use the left over white cotton from the first project of this month and seam it together along the bottom rather than fold.  I hope this doesn't compromise the pattern but then piecing is period I hear.

I know that is heaps (with one already done) so hopefully I can get somewhere on something.  I have not allocated an unfinished project due to the fact that its demotivating to not have outfits finished that I can even get on.

Many of these are actually I think really fast to complete, its just a case of getting onto it.  The corset and hoop for example I think are both only a couple of days each, the 30's outfit is maybe one solid day of sewing, chemise dress may take up to a week pending drafting and what I choose to do about the hems.  I can see the bulk of the renaissance being completed rather quickly and the real time suck being all the decoration I want to do on it, which may push this out over another month or two.

hopefully by the end of next week I will have up the posts about the brown 40's finished project and the spotted dress as well as some more future plans for things I want to make that are still mulling around my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment